Wednesday, August 21, 2013

New Texas Giant Review and Accident thoughts

Review:
The New Texas Giant, sometimes referred to as NTAG, is the perfect rollercoaster, IMO. Others argue that the Iron Rattler, or El Toro are better. No. Just No. The Texas Giant is and forever will be my favorite rollercoaster. And here is my review of it.
As I approached the beast, I got a major lump in my stomach. I remember braving the old TG and looking at the drop in awe. And then there was this. Holy crap. It might be the single most intimidating first drop I've ever seen. Alright, maybe not. Millenium Force's drop is two times this length, but compared to the old giant, my god... Anyway, as we walked through the unfortunately rather unthemed line, I couldn't help but notice the how each turn in the first half was banked at 90 or more degrees. I was again amazed at the difference between this and the old giant. We got to the Texas themed station and was just amazed at the amount work they had done on the old girl. The whole station had a real 1960's garage theme, complete with Cadillac Deville's has the actual trains. We boarded the back row, I took right side. The bucket seats and amazingly comfortable lap bar helped my nerves. And we were dispatched. As we climbed up the relatively fast and quite lift, you get a pretty great view of the park. Enjoy it while you can, cause as we crested the lift, a great pop of air is followed by a terrific first drop. After this, you fly up into the double up before the first overbank. A fantastic pop of ejector air is felt before the first, and least forceful of the three turns. A nice pop of air is felt as you exit the element. You fly up again into the best moment of the ride in IMO. The second over bank provides great laterals and AMAZING EJECTOR AIRTIME. I MEAN AMAZING.  Nothing can change my opinion about that. You then fly into the third 112 degree overbank. This one is the least memorable of the three because you fly through it so quick you don't get to appreciate be sideways. Then you hit the second best moment of the ride, the little bunny hill before the MCBR. It delivers again straight up fantastic air. You then turn into the MCBR, which is hardly ever on. You quickly dive out of the run, into a diving drop that felt especially fun. You then hit a relatively floater airtime hill, and then a great ejector drop under the lift. You continue to get mostly ejector air through the next few bunny hops and then head for the tunnels. MORE ejector air is met in the tunnels, and the magic carpet finish is one. You continuously gain speed as you hit more airtime, and fly into the brakes. Breathe.


The New Texas Giant is straight up incredible. 10/10



Accident: I was there on the day of NTAG accident. I'm going to make this short and sweet. This is tragic accident and my heart goes out the family, but we can't ponder in the past. The Giant will reopen and I will continue to ride it. And that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment